Thursday, October 8, 2015

Being Schooled.

I am a full time college student. And life has once again made me eat my words. I told my kids "Scholarships don't find you, you have to find them!"

Wrong.

The community college emailed me and said I qualified and attached an application. I thought 'what the heck?' and filled it out and sent it back.

Just like that. I was in! 2 years paid for.

So its a bit surreal being in school again, with people closer to my children's ages. Their point of view is just so funny to me. I hear their complaints; "I'm so tired. I'm hungry. I have to work 27 hours this week. I only got 7 hours of sleep last night."

Hysterical!

So I am seeing that my children are no different. They seem to complain about the same things. So that is good. I worry sometimes that I have coddled them too much with their silly complaints. But I have to remember that they haven't experienced any real hardships that fell on their shoulders yet. They do not know what sleeplessness is, nor work, nor hunger....etc.

 I am most proud of that.

So I would like to call myself an artist. I would love to say I am naturally gifted. That I have a "trained eye" and master technical skills with ease....

But I would be lying.

I am learning so much of what I thought I knew. In all areas....



 I am learning the basics. The real foundation of art. The shape, value and scale of things.


 I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Even when I get it wrong, even when I put 2 hours of work into something and failed. Even when I get it right and then we move on to something difficult. I LOVE what I am doing. The process.  I don't think I could have been this patient with myself at any other time in my life. I am hard on myself by nature but the closer I get to age 40, the more I realize being hard isn't helping me. Being kind and gentle with myself, as I would with any of my friends, has allowed me to grow and be better. As I wish.

We had to do something called "blind continuous contour line drawings" where we look at something and draw it without looking at our drawings and never lift the pen from the paper. It helps build our hand-to-eye coordination. Upon looking I was disappointed and felt like I failed. My teacher came around and was admiring it and said that its not perfection we are after but an idea. She could see my idea clearly and was impressed.


 So that is the best thing I could have been told. Not aiming for instant perfection but for discovery. I am pressing on.

I have been sketching, transferring and more sketching using graphite. Testing how far one drawing will transfer and the differences with each transfer.
 Here is the beginning sketches of my Morticia Addams type character.



I have drawn and and transferred her 3 times. She now looks like that Kim K. person people love to talk about. Oh well. Not perfection but discovery.


Robert and I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary. He spoiled me all day and I spoiled him as well but those details are sacred and not for sharing. ;-)

The weather is cooling and we are busier than ever but happy.
I am attempting to sew my own costume for Halloween. We have our huge Halloween party coming up and the guest list is growing. People are spreading the word. I am looking for a bigger house because of this phenomenon. Guess I can throw a mean bash...who knew?

Happy October!

xoxo
Gioncarla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails